What is sitting disease?
Sitting disease is a chronic condition that is commonly linked with 34 health issues. It happens due to lack of activity or excess sitting. Aged people may get affected by this disease due to a lack of physical activity. Researches show that only one person out of 4 participates in daily exercise or physical activity aged 65 to75. Studies say that If we were to cut our sitting time to less than three hours every day, we may increase our life span by up to two years. Likewise, if we reduce the time we spend in front of the TV to less than an hour or two daily, we would gain 1.5 years back.
Mayo Clinic revealed in their study that 60%- 70% of people spend around 6 hours or more just sitting. And 20% to 30% of people like to spend their time watching TV. The time they spend watching TV can be 4 hours. or more. When people watch TV or sit idly they may increase the risk of many diseases such as heart issues, diabetes, cognitive decline, and some type of cancers.
Factors that are involved in sitting disease
- Factors that are involved in sitting disease
- Sitting in the same position for hours.
- Watching TV for more than 4 hours.
- Not doing any physical activity and laying idly
Sitting disease is a chronic situation it can increase the risk of 34 other diseases. such as;-
- Heart Issues;- Studies show those who work in a standing position heart perform well than those who work in a sitting position for maximum time.
- Short life expectancy;- It can reduce your life span also.
- Dementia;- it can give you problem of Dementia
- It can lessen the exercise effects;- This can also minimize the effects of the workout.
- Diabetes;- Also increase the risk of diabetes
- Sudden weight gain;- You may notice a sudden increase in your weight
- Anxiety;- You are more likely to get too much anxiety all the time.
- Back Aches;- A prolonged sitting position give too much stress on your back muscles, spine, and neck.
- Varicose veins;-sitting for a long time can pool the blood in the legs. Because of this your veins feel added pressure and get swelled.
- Cancer risk increase;- Sitting too much for a long time can also increase the risk of cancer.
How to combat this sedentary lifestyle?
However, it is very much clear that less sitting and more being active contribute to better health. You might choose to stand rather than sit when you get a chance while you work. For example:
- Take a small break from sitting within 30 minutes.
- Chose walking while talking on the phone or watching TV.
- If you are working at the desk, chose a standing desk.
- Talk to your colleagues while walking rather than sitting in rooms
- Change your position every after 30 minutes
- Exercise daily to reduce the risk of this disease.
Above are some basic solutions that can help a person combat the sitting disease.
How do you know that you have a sitting disease?
It’s quite simple to know if you have a stetting disease or a sedentary lifestyle. If you spend a maximum of your time in front of the TV or on the sofa.
You have no routine for daily exercise. However, certain health issues can hint you about a sedentary lifestyle disease.
There few signals you can check upon;-
- Sleeplessness or difficulty in sleeping
- Gain weight excessively
- Digestive problems
- lack of concentration
Therefore if you experience the above symptoms. It is more likely that you have a sedentary disease or sitting disease. But the fact is a majority of people are having this sitting disease. Because of the influence of their work lifestyle etc. However, everyone should take out at least 20 minutes to an hour for exercise. It will not only help to reduce the risk of a sedentary lifestyle but will also improve your overall health.
People can easily fight a sedentary lifestyle just by adding a little movement to their daily activities. They should also eat a healthy diet this will also make you more active. Avoid sitting in the same position for more than 30 minutes. If your work on the computer and spend more time in a sitting position just stand up for 1-2 minutes and stretch your legs. One should aware of the pros and cons of this disses so that they can combat it.